Serves 4 (you can double or triple, even)
- 1 big bunch mint, tops cut off and reserved for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon
- Simple syrup (1:1)
- Crushed ice
- Club soda
- Pour the bourbon into a pitcher and throw the bottom part of the mint in it. Muddle the mint to release the oils and let it macerate for at least 10 minutes and up to half an hour. While you’re waiting, crush the ice.
- Sweeten the minty bourbon to taste by pouring in simple syrup. Start small; you can always add more, but you can’t take it away.
- Fill 4 lowball glasses (or pewter cups if you have them) with crushed ice.
- Strain the bourbon mixture into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into the glass, leaving enough room at the top for club soda. Top with club soda and garnish with a couple of big fat sprigs of mint. You want them to tickle your nose.