This recipe for Coq au Riesling originally accompanied a story on Two Easy, Do-Ahead Dinners for Halloween.
More recipes: great one-post meals.
Holiday cooking: Ideas and recipes for Halloween.
From Nigella Express: 130 Recipe for Good Food, Fast." Yield: 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused oil
- 1 cup cubed bacon
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 12 skinless chicken thighs, or 2 3/4 pounds thigh fillets
- 1 (750-ml) bottle riesling
- 10 ounces oyster mushrooms, torn into strips (4 cups)
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heavy cream (optional... I'm not going to use it)
- 1 to 2 tablesoons freshly chopped dill
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large wide pan and fry the bacon until crisp.
- Add the sliced leek and soften it with the bacon for a minute or so.
- Tip in the chicken thighs, wine, mushrooms and bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, cover the pan, and simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring in the cream in the last couple minutes.
- Sprinkle with dill and serve with buttered noodles on the side.