Over the weekend I came up with a new salad that really fits the bill for this hot weather we’re having. You do everything on the grill and then toss it with lettuce and mint, which really cools you down.
I did ribeye, but you can do chicken or fish, or just forgo the meat.
- 4 cups leafy lettuce
- 2 mint sprigs
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- 4 spring onions
- 8 spears asparagus
- 3-4 baby carrots
- 1 (1-pound) rib-eye steak, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Divide it between bowls and tear mint leaves over the lettuce.
- Place the mustard in a bowl and pour some balsamic over it. Whisk in the olive oil until the consistency could coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Clean and trim the onions, asparagus and carrots. Rub the onions and asparagus all over with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- When the grill is hot enough that you can hold your hand over it for 3 seconds, place the onions on the grill. Turn them so they caramelize evenly on all sides.
- Move the onions to the side of the grill and place your steak on. Cook for 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the steak.
- Add the asparagus on the grill and cook over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Bring the steak and vegetables back in the kitchen. While the steak is still resting, slice the asparagus and onions into bite-sized pieces. Toss asparagus, onions and raw carrots with the lettuce and the balsamic dressing.
- Slice the steak on the bias and place the pieces on top of the lettuce.
- Serves 2 to 4.