For this week’s holiday countdown recipe, Jill Rose, pastry chef and owner of Chiboust in Tarrytown, shows me her amazing French Toast with Apples. What a great holiday brekky.
Brioche French Toast
- Make the apple compote first, then reheat it to top the French toast.
- 8 eggs
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 loaf of Chiboust brioche, sliced 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick
- Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Soak brioche in custard mixture about five minutes.
- Sauté in butter until golden brown on both sides.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with apple compote.
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 tablespoons apple brandy (calvados)
- 1/4 cup half and half
- In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat, bring sugar, water and spices to a light caramel, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced apples and sauté until slightly tender and golden, Deglaze with the calvados, add the half and half and reduce until thickened, about three minutes.