A recipe to accompany this story on The Secret to Better Matzo Balls.
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch each of onion powder and parsley flakes
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher-for-Passover baking soda
- Separate eggs. Beat whites until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat yolks a few minutes until pale-yellow light. Add oil, water, salt, onion powder and parsley flakes. Mix. Stir in the matzo meal and baking soda, then fold in the egg whites. Refrigerate at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Moisten the palms of your hands with oil. Use a spoon or cookie scoop to scoop a ball about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter from the mixture. Quickly roll it into a ball shape. Don’t roll them around too much or they will get stiff.
- Place them into the water at rolling boil. When the water returns to a boil and the matzo balls float to the top, lower the flame to low and cover the pot. Remove the matzo balls from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Makes 16 balls.