You’ll need to freeze the cylinder of an ice cream maker the day before you start this recipe for Lemon Verbena-Cantaloupe Sorbet. Try it as part of this All-Local Dinner Party Menu.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 lemon verbena leaves (or substitute 1/4 cup mint)
- 5 cups cantaloupe
- Make a simple syrup by bringing the sugar and water to just shy of a boil. Stir to combine, remove from heat and add lemon verbena leaves. Steep for 20 minutes, then remove leaves and cool the syrup.
- Puree the cantaloupe with the lemon-verbena simple syrup in a blender. (You may have to do this in batches.) Refrigerate the melon mixture until very cold, 4 to 6 hours.
- Process the melon mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze in a container until hard.
- Remove 5 minutes before serving, to make the sorbet easier to scoop. Garnish with lemon verbena leaves.