I just discovered this recipe for Shaved Zucchini and Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette this summer, but it’s already become a favorite. The vinaigrette is so lemony and delicious. It’s best the day you make it. Try it as part of this All-Local Dinner Party Menu.
From Eating Well, July-Aug. 2011
- Shaved Zucchini and Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium)
- 1 large bulb fennel, quartered and cored, fronds reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- 6 tablespoons hard sheep’s milk cheese from the market or shredded Manchego or Asiago cheese
- Very thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into long strips with a vegetable peeler, mandoline or knife. Place strips on a double layer of paper towel and let stand while you prepare rest of salad.
- Very thinly slice fennel bulb with a knife or mandoline. Chop about 1/4 cup of fronds. Whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add zucchini, fennel, fronds and onion; gently stir to coat well. Serve sprinkled with cheese.