Try this watermelon-basil mojito recipe: A seasonal cocktail with ingredients from the farmers market. Try it as part of this All-Local Dinner Party Menu.
- 1/4 large watermelon (about 2 to 3 cups), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cold simple syrup (made by bringing 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to just shy of a boil and stirring to combine; refrigerate the remainder for up to a month.)
- Club soda
- Put the watermelon in a large pitcher. Add the basil leaves, lime juice, simple syrup and rum and muddle so the watermelon breaks up and the basil leaves release their oils.
- Fill glasses with crushed ice. Strain the watermelon mixture into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into the glass. Top with club soda. Garnish with a basil leaf and watermelon slice.