From an archived series on fishmongers and their recipes.
“Don’t be afraid of a hot pan,” says Joe Delamaer when you ask him how to cook scallops.
As the chef at Cole’s Meat & Fish Market in Montrose, the man knows a thing or two about preparing party-size plates of fish. Coconut shrimp, baked salmon, and crab cakes all make regular appearances in the market’s case of prepared foods. But when he cooks at home, he likes to change it up often. At the request of his wife, Tricia Cole Delamaer, he makes this scallop recipe, which he volunteered to share as part of our series on fishmongers and their recipes.
The dish combines the seafood with leeks and shiitake mushrooms. “The sweetness of the leeks and the mustiness of the shiitakes work well with the scallops,” he says. “But you really want to get that crust on the scallops.”
So if you are, indeed, afraid to turn up the heat on your stove, give Cole’s a call and ask Delamaer to prepare the dish for you himself.
Cole’s Meat & Fish Market: 2147 Albany Post Road, Montrose. 914-737-7737.
Serves 2. From Cole's Market, Montrose
- 2 leeks
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, tops only, sliced 1/4 -inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 scallops
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove root end and green part of leek. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into circles about 1/8 -inch thick. Soak leeks in cold water, then lift the leeks out of the bowl to let the dirt sink to the bottom of the water.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat, and sauté the leeks with salt and pepper until tender. Add the shiitakes and sauté until tender. Add thyme and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper. Heat an ovenproof sauté pan over very high heat. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add scallops. As soon as color forms around the scallops, add 1 tablespoon butter. Place the pan in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Place leek and mushroom mixture on a warmed plate. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and place the scallops on top of the leeks and mushrooms.