See step-by-step photos on the original Seasonal Chef post here.
Holiday cooking: Ideas and recipes for Halloween.
More recipes: great one-post meals.
Makes 6-8 servings Cook’s notes: * You can prep all the ingredients ahead of time just keep the chicken separated until you are ready to cook. * If cooking over night start cooking at a time that will allow you the ability to have 30-45 min to cool down before placing in the refrigerator. * To make the stew a little heartier add ¼ cup of brown rice in the last hour of cooking
- 6 boneless chicken thighs, about 1¾ lb
- 1 celery stalk, ¼” dice
- 1 carrot, ½” dice
- 8 oz of small white onions (boilers), cleaned and cut in half
- 1 – 12 oz bag of little sweet peppers (Lil’ Sweeties), seeded and cut in half
- 1 -2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ lb tomatillos, about 2, cut into 1” cubes
- ½ lb tomatoes, about 2, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2” cubes
- 1 quart of low sodium chicken stock
- 1 chipotle in adobo, finely minced, about 1 tablespoon
- Zest and juice of one lime
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Cilantro, optional
- ¼ cup brown rice, optional, see note below
- Cut the chicken in to 2” pieces, season with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the celery, carrot, onion, pepper, garlic, tomatillo and tomatoes in a, 5 quart slow cooker and combine well with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Add the squash and chicken and mix everything together.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken stock, chipotle, lime zest and juice and pour into the pot.
- Set on low heat for 8 hours. After it finishes cooking allow the stew to cool completely, if not eating right away, and place in refrigerator. Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving and check for seasoning.
- Reheat in the oven or microwave and serve over rice or egg noodles.