- 8 large portobello mushroom caps
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium leek, green and white parts, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups diced cornbread
- Vegetable broth, as needed
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet, gill sides up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and leek and saute until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, thyme and rosemary and cook until tender, about another 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and gently fold in the cornbread.
- When the mushrooms are done, pour any liquid that has collected on the rimmed baking sheet into the cornbread mixture. If the mixture is dry, sprinkle in a bit of vegetable broth. Gently mix. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps and return to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
- The Associated Press