- Start to finish: 2 1/2 hours (30 minutes active); Servings: 12.
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine all ingredients. Mix on low until combined, then increase speed to high and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the paddle, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 1 hour, or until the dough is puffy. Meanwhile, coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 12 pieces, rolling each into a ball. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until puffy, about 1 hour.
- Toward the end of rising, heat the oven to 350 F.
- Moisten the tops of the rolls lightly with water, then sprinkle with ground flax seeds. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.