Get other recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers and step-by-step photos for this recipe by clicking here: Thanksgiving Leftovers: Seasonal Chef.
Recipe created by Maria Reina of Bella Cucina Maria
- 11/2 cups of Vidalia onion, 1/4" dice, about 1/2 of an onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt
- Ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 box Barilla Plus Spaghetti
- 4 cups cooked squash, cut in 2" pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Sweat the onion and garlic with the butter over medium heat. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and whisk to incorporate. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the room temperature stock 1 cup at a time, whisking to incorporate. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat, whisking frequently so the bottom does not burn.
- Meanwhile, put a medium pot of water on to boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Once it begins to boil add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes drain the pasta reserving 2 cups of pasta water and add to the sauce. It'e very important to save a little of the pasta water - you may need it to thin out the pasta later.
- Continue cooking another 4 minutes in the sauce and taste. The pasta should be al dente. Turn off the heat and add the squash and half of the cheese. Toss to combine.
- Pour the pasta into a shallow serving bowl and toss in the parsley. If the pasta seems a little stiff add a little of the pasta water to loosen it up. Top with remaining cheese and serve.