I have so many ideas combined into this post, that chances are you will find me less than coherent. I get this way, when I am excited, tired and especially when I am excited about a new seasonal creation.
My kids and I love Hanukkah, let me explain, it is not so much about the holiday as it is about the latkes. Of course there are the classic potato variety, then I have my famous harvest latkes that I make with rutabaga and now fresh off the frying pan on this first day of the holiday, I have my newly created Delicata squash pancakes. The squash, I will let you know is from our garden, there are still a few small things here and there that are sustaining us, the squash that stays indoors through a nice chunk of the season and then we have carrots and some beets.
So back to carraway seeds, these seeds are also called Black cumin, because of its darker color, the spice is a cross between fennel seeds and cumin in its taste. It is used a lot in middle-eastern cooking and is believed to be a native of the region. It’s versatile taste makes it used in breads, desserts and of course savory dishes.
the spices I will tell you that these are a great way to get your children to eat their veggies, while my kids are pretty good in that department, it is with veggie pancakes that I get a smile on their face and of course, I have managed to get several other children to eat their veggies.
More that the joy of creating a recipe, it really is about creating a recipe that is not too bad for the kids and they love it, I am all you parent cooks will share my enthusiasm.
I am also getting ready for vacation, I shall be travelling to India and Finland (this is an odd one, so I shall see if I can find some food finds there) for a couple of weeks. I promise to come back energized with food ideas, spices and just a general sense of well being.
So on to the recipe.
- 1 medium sized delicata squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 idaho potato (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 11/2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Oil for shallow frying
- Peel the delicata squash, remove the seeds and shed the squash using a hand grated. I would not recommend using a food processor for this recipe, the texture is not quite the same.
- Peel and shred the potato if using.
- Place the shredded vegetables in a colander and shake over some salt and let this rest while working on the rest of the preparation.
- Squeeze out any extra water and add in the scallions, ginger, caraway seeds, cardamoms and mix well.
- Mix in the egg and the flour with the cilantro.
- In a medium sized pan heat the oil until hot but not smoking.
- Shape the mixture into 2 to 3 inch oval shapes and place with enough room not to crowd them, about 6 pancakes in a 9 inch pan works for me.
- Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golen brown, the pancakes should be crisp on the outer edges and softer in the center.
- Remove from the oil, drain on paper towels and serve hot.