Maybe it’s because wow, it is cooooooold (muy, muy frío!!!) out there, I’m still yearning for warm drinks! Actually I did write about one warm cocktail on December 7th (Peruvian Winter Wine ) and, quite frankly, have been playing with my drinks since. And, well, does anyone else love Kahlúa the way I love Kahlúa? Something about that coffee liqueur that marries so beautifully with, yes, coffee and , yes, whipped cream. (And, ah, to all my boot camp buddies, I apologize: this is so NOT a boot camp kind of drink…but hey, once in a while, we must treat ourselves, right?!) So this, mis queridos amigos, is a lovely treat to serve to your sweetheart, dear friend, or just to yourself!
Café Mexicano is a perfect wintertime brunch, or after-dinner drink!
- 1 teaspoon turbinado or coarse brown sugar
- 4 ounces hot coffee
- 2 ounces Kahlúa, or Tía María, plus more to drizzle on top
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipped sweetened heavy cream
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated semisweet chocolate
- 1 cinnamon stick for garnish (optional!)
- Moisten the rim of a coffee glass using your fingertip and water. Sread the sugar on a saucer, and press the rim of the glass into it, turning it gently until the rim is evenly coated. Pour in the hot coffee and Kahlúa. Add the whipped cream to the center (so you don't ruin your sugar rim!). Sprinkle the cinnamon and chocolate. Top with a drizzle of liqueur, if desired. Add the cinnamon stick and serve!