“Verde que te quiero verde,” (Green, how I want you green) are the first lines of a poem by Spanish poet Federico García Lorca. (Here it is in English, followed by Spanish…where it really does shine). In celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day, spring—or both—green is the color of the season!
This seasonal train of thought lead me to mojitos. Now, I know what you might be thinking: Mojitos and Saint Patrick’s Day are not a a usual match up. But, well, they can be—and so I’m bringing them together! And though yes, there are many variations of the original rum/lime/mint drink. In fact, I’ve made many of ‘em myself and do believe in playing and variety. But here, mis amigos, I’m being a purist.
One of the nice things about this classic Cuban cocktail is that the infusion of fresh lime and mint gives it a refreshing flavor that marries well with many treats. On Friday at dawn (on Telemundo!), I paired it with my guacamole—but chimichurri would be wonderful as well! Would love to hear some of your pairing ideas. In the meantime, ¡buen provecho! Enjoy!
The mojito (pronounced moh-HEE-toh) was destined to take the United States by storm! After all, how could a country already enamored with the mint julep not fall for this Cuban classic? Just one sip of a mojito, which perfectly combines the flavors of rum mint, and sugar, will prove why it's popularity continues to explode!
- 4 fresh mint sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice, plus additional lime wedges, for garnish
- 1 1/2 ounces light rum (my new light rum favorite is Vizcaya Blanco, from the Dominican Republic)
- Ice cubes
- Splash clube soda
- Remove the mint leaves from their stems and place them in a tall bar glass
- Add the sugar.
- Use a pestle or the end of a wooden spoon to lightly mask the mint leaves and sugar togeterh.
- Add the lime juice, rum, and a cup of ice.
- Cover and shake.
- Transfer to a serving glass (if it's different from the one you're using!).
- Top with club soda.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wedges and serve immediately!