Inspiration comes from so many different sources and, as I’ve mentioned before, is sometimes right in front of us! I’ve been on a taco theme, so tortillas are on my mind. I know what you may be thinking: the wrap thing is so 2010 (or older!) but, my friends, I urge you to keep ‘em going!
My Shrimp and Scrambled Egg Wrap is prepared with just a bit of a chipotle spark. Like their cousins, tacos, flour tortilla wraps offer cooks, of all ages, flexibility and a “fun” pocket to play with. Photo by Anastassios Mentis for Fiesta Latina, Palomino/Gargagliano, Chronicle Books, 2006
This recipe is inspired by one created by Chef Rafael Palomino, which is included in one of the books I collaborated with him on: Fiesta Latina. The original recipe, made with lobster, is also amazing. But shrimp is more available (!) and more affordable, and, well, I’m thinking about Easter brunch right now!
This is a great, quick brunch dish that combines the smokey spark of chipotle with the smooth comfort of scrambled egg, shrimp, and flour tortilla.
- 3 tablespoons (or to taste) mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) chipotle purée* (chipotles in adobo, puréed!)
- 1 cup cooked shrimp
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Chopped chives (or scallions) for garnish
- Combine the mayonnaise and the chipotle purée until well blended.
- Then add the shrimp, celery, and red onion in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until well blended.
- Cook them in a large lightly greased sauté pan, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until done.
- Remove from the heat, and combine with the shrimp salad.
- Place half the mixture along the center of a tortilla in a horizontal line.
- Roll up the tortilla so that it’s in a cigar shape.
- Use a sharp knife to cut it into 4 slices, and stand the slices up vertically.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and shrimp mixture.
- Top each slice with a sprinkle of chives or scallions.
- Serve immediately.