This is a perfect way to repurpose your leftover rice, making it into a delicious and tasty brunch dish using asparagus and egg. To read my story about asparagus click on this link.
This is a very versatile dish that is perfect for a savory brunch. Don’t be afraid to substitute the rice for another grain or legume like quinoa, farro or baby lentils. The kale can be changed up to spinach or chard as well.
- 4 handfuls of kale, sliced thinly
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 cups of cooked rice, or any grain or legume of your choice
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and peeled if thick
- Balsamic or Sherry Vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Chives, thinly sliced for garnish
- Over medium heat sauté the kale with a little olive oil and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice. Cover and set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt for every 4 cups. In a separate bowl make an ice bath.
- Drop the asparagus in boiling water and blanch for 2-3 minutes, depending on the thickness of your stem. Remove and immediately place in the ice bath to stop the cooking (shock) for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk 3 tablespoons of vinegar with 5-6 tablespoons of oil. Season with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper.
- Make 4 eggs to your liking, either poached or fried.
- While you are cooking the eggs divide the rice between four warmed plates. Place the asparagus over the rice in a pretty pattern. Drizzle with a little of the dressing.
- Place one egg on each plate and season with a little salt and pepper and garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve immediately.