I Eat Plants: Black Bean and Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 Cup quinoa (uncooked), rinsed well
- 1 Cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 Cup black beans, cooked, drained and rinsed well (canned are fine, dried are cheaper)
- 1 Cup fresh or frozen roasted corn kernels
- 1 small onion, finely diced, or 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 of a red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 Tbs Canola (or other mild-tasting, such as corn, safflower, or grapeseed) Oil
- 2 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup minced Flat Parsley leaves
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the washed quinoa to a sauce pan with the vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, add the corn kernels. After another 5 minutes, quinoa should be cooked.
- Remove from heat and cool, preferably in the refrigerator, for anywhere from an hour to overnight.
- When cooled, transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the grated carrot, red peppers, onion and beans, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the ingredients from the canola oil to the salt and pepper together.
- Add slowly to the large bowl while mixing with a large spoon; all the dressing may not be needed.
- The salad can be eaten as is right now, but the flavors will be stronger if you let it sit (refrigerated) overnight.