This recipe is a simple and flavorful recipe, mostly created to use the springtime japanese turnips in our garden. The pasta used here was the mini ravioli, that I bought from the store. I have later tried making this with radiatore and feel that the later offers a nice and light touch which is also interesting. This recipe can be made with kale and chickpeas too, because since I used a bunch of japanese turnips and their greens the recipe was mostly about the greens with just a right amount of crunch and sweetness from the turnips.
I do encourage you to make your own chickpeas, there is a huge difference in taste. I let them cook unattended in the slow cooker and this way I always have a stock of fresh, low sodium chickpeas that are not marred by the preservatives found in canned chickpeas.
This pasta has an interesting mix of flavors, which the delicate and smokey cumin and garlic, earthy greens and chickpeas, finished off with cilantro and chives.
A flavorful pasta made with chickpeas, cumin, garlic and seasonal chickpeas.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 4 pods minced garlic
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups of japanese turnip greens (please note these greens are more delicate than the larger turnip greens)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced turnips (from the greens above)
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 2 cups cooked pasta (I used fresh mini cheese ravioli)
- Salt to taste
- 11/2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 lime, halved
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil and the butter and add in the cumin seeds and wait until they sizzle. Add in the garlic and cook until the garlic is a pale toffee color.
- Add in the shallots and saute until soft and add in the greens and cook until just wilted.
- Add in the turnips and the chickpeas with the salt and stir well and cook for two minutes.
- Gently stir in the pasta and the salt and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chives and cilantro.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and serve with extra olive oil if desired.