I think this is a great and simple recipe for a summer get together. Make sure you check out this week’s column to learn about stovetop smokers!
Smoked BBQ Tempeh
- 1 8-oz package tempeh
- 1 cup water or veggie broth
- 1 cup (or to taste) of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Veggies of choice, such as corn, bell peppers, squash, mushrooms, or potatoes, if desired
- Stovetop Smoker with wood shavings in flavor of choice- Hickory works well here
- Cut tempeh into 4 rectangles.
- Steam using water or veggie broth, 20 minutes on the stove or 4 minutes in the microwave.
- Add tempeh to a stovetop smoker, along with veggies (heartier veggies such as potatoes or corn should be par cooked before adding to smoker).
- Smoke for 10-15 minutes, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Allow smoke to dissipate for a few moments after removing from heat before opening if concerned about smoke detectors. Otherwise, take care when opening to avoid direct skin contact with smoke.