Limonada, lemonade, is synonymous with summer! The fun thing about drinks like lemonade is that, and my friends you’ve heard me say this before, the sky’s the limit! After all, all you need to make any fabulous drink is a combination of fresh and tasty ingredients; lemonade is an easy canvas upon which you can make many a beautiful painting!
Throughout the Americas, and the Caribbean, you can find lovely limonada in several incarnations; it can be combined with ginger (as I’ve done in my ginger-lemonade champagne cocktail!) or any fruit that you have on hand. Today we’re talking strawberry!
Another wonderful quality of limonada, is it’s “combinability” factor beyond the fruit: you can combine it with alcohol (or not!) and served it with a variety of dishes.
So, mis amigos, here’s my recommendation. Let’s say you’re enjoying this fabulous summer weather and hosting a barbecue. Make a BIG batch of limonda, and then keep it cool to serve to the non-alcohol imbibing crowd as made, and perhaps with a bit of rum or vodka for your alcohol drinkers! Either way, it’s great with anything you choose to grill!
Would love to hear about YOUR favorite lemonade! Until then, ¡buen provecho! Enjoy!
This recipe for limonada is of the strawberry variety! It's adapted from one published in Latin Grill--by Rafael Palomino with Arlen Gargagliano (!)--in 2010 by Chronicle books. Photos are by Dan Goldberg! Simply multiply for more takers--
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Fresh lime juice, about 1/2 ounce or to taste
- 4 teaspoons sugar (or to taste!)
- 4 strawberries hulled and quartered
- 4 ounces water
- 1 cup ice
- 4 teaspoons mango purée (or mango nectar)
- Combine the lemon, lime juice, sugar and three of the strawberries in a bar glass.
- Muddle all together until the strawberries become almost a purée.
- Add the water, ice, and mango purée.
- Cover and shake well!
- Fill a glass with ice. Strain the lemonade into the glass.
- Garnish with the remaining strawberry and serve!