Golden Beets have arrived and will be with us through the Fall. Pick up a bunch this week and try them out. Not only are they delicious in salads, but perfect as a cold soup for a hot day. This version is Thai-inspired with just a hint of spiciness. Click this link: to read more about Golden Beets.
This Thai-inspired soup blends the spiciness of chili with the warmness of ginger. It’s sure to awaken your senses. Garnish with a little chive and fresh herbs and you have a restaurant quality dish right from your own kitchen.
- 1 lb of golden beets, tops reserved, about 2 bunches
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, or canola oil
- Ground white pepper
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion, 1 large
- 2″ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4″ pieces
- 1-2 pequin chili
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- Fresh basil, garnish
- Chives, garnish
- Rinse the beets under cool water and remove any dirt that is still clinging to them. Place in a small pot and cover with 2″ of cold water. Add 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until fork tender. About 20 minutes.
- Add the oil to a small sauté pan and place over medium heat. Cook the onions and ginger with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and white pepper until the onions are soft and translucent. About 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Then place in the bowl of a high speed blender with the vegetable stock and 1 cup of the coconut milk.
- Once the beets are cooked remove from the pot and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Using a paper towel peel away the skin. Set aside one of the larger and more symmetrical beet and the rest cut in to quarters and add to the blender. Puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning and then place in an airtight container and chill completely.
- Take the reserved beet and cut into nice symmetrical 1/4″ cubes. Place in a separate container and chill.
- To serve place the soup into a bowl. A drizzle of the remaining coconut milk, a few pieces of the cubes beets, a little thinly sliced basil and chive.