This quick pickling liquid has a mildly sweet flavor that works beautifully with all types of vegetables. Spicy radishes compliment the overall dish. Click here: to read more about Radishes and see a few ideas to use them.
This is my favorite pickling liquid combination. Feel free to change up the spices, just remember to keep them as whole seeds. Ground spice will turn your liquid cloudy.
- 1½ cups of white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup sugar (I use raw organic sugar)
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seed
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the thyme in a heavy pot and bring to a simmer. Stir a few times with a wooden spoon. Once the sugar dissolves remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- Pour the liquid over the vegetables and thyme, in a glass container, and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate overnight before serving. This is a quick pickle, and good for about 5 days.
Almost any vegetable will work with this recipe. Some should be blanched for 1 minute and cooled in ice water before pickling: cauliflower, sting beans and corn for instance. Radishes and cucumbers are fine without the blanch.