Today was a typically crazy day in my life, our fridge decided to call it a couple of days ago, and I had a day on the road planned. I really was at a loss to figure out what to do with the abundance of tomatoes and other stuff that our backyard has been so generously belting out. It is difficult really to decide on which seasonal ingredient, I am showcasing because today recipe has carrots, tomatoes and is finished off with mint. Gosh, we have been over flowing with berries, herbs, carrots, beets, greens and tomatoes. Luckily for the busy mama there is always a slow cooker, especially for the busy mama with a spice closet! Inspiration struck in the form of a soup, one that actually sings with all the flavors of summer, loads of fresh garlic, tomatoes, carrots and mint. If you are concerned about the thought something steaming hot in summer, fear not! This soup tastes pretty good at room temperature! A traditional Turkish lentil soup has more sumac in it, which I have just avoided mostly because I did not have more time. I have noticed cooking in my slow cooker tends to give foods a bit of darker color, and this is where I added some of today’s spice turmeric. I finished off the lentils with some yogurt from, The Real Amazing Live Company. Amazing!!! Oh and I scoffed this down with loads of Bread from my favorite bakery, Bread Alone
A simple nourishing red lentil soup, that is made with a chockfull of carrots and tomatoes, laced with spices, herbs and lime.
- 3/4 cup split red lentils (masuur dal)
- 2 red onions, diced
- 4 medium sized carrots (about 3/4 pounds, cut into 3 inch sizes)
- 5 cups of water or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 head of fresh garlic, coarsely chopped or 10 pods of garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 4 cloves
- 1 large stick cinnamon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons fresh whole yogurt
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Place the red lentils, onions, carrots, chicken broth or water, ginger, garlic and cumin with the cloves and cinnamon and set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- About hours into the game, the ingredients should be simmering briskly and the lentils should be swollen and large.
- Add in the olive oil, tomatoes, sugar and salt and continue simmer for another two hours.
- Cool slightly.
- Remove the cinnamon, puree the lentils with an immersion or regular blender adding some extra water as needed to make it a smooth soup like texture.
- Stir in the fresh lime juice and the cilantro.
- Serve in soup bowls.
- Beat the yogurt and add over the soup and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and the mint.