Whether your dancing to it, listening to it, eating it—or making it, salsa is FUN!
In fact, this morning, at dawn (while you you’re probably sleeping!), I was featured on Buenos Días Nueva York, creating—once again—my grilled peach salsa (a.k.a. my throwdown salsa!) with the lovely Elliot Saenz, as pictured here! I think I’ve cultivated a new group of Grilled Peach and Avocado Salsa fans! (Click on the bold wording to get to the link for that recipe!)
But let’s get back to the salsa of the day (or of later that same day!): Watermelon, Tequila, and Pineapple Salsa.
Watermelon, Tequila and Pineapple Salsa, from Nueva Salsa, by Rafael Palomino and Arlen Gargagliano, photo by Miki Diusterhof
This Watermelon, Tequila and Pineapple salsa, original created by my dear friend Chef Rafael Palomino (and one included in our collaboration, Nueva Salsa), is one that I recently “rediscovered” when looking for some fun summertime flavors that included both spark and sweet. The colors—and maginificent flavors—make this salsa a great addition to a summertime barbecue. Now, for the non-alcohol imbibing crowd—and for kids—you can, por supuesto, leave out the tequila! But for those who can and do enjoy the taste of tequila, leave it in! Another point you might want to change: the cilantro. Many of my friends are telling me they’ve got too much mint! Well, this salsa won’t solve your mint overflow (though mojitos might!), but you could use mint in lieu of cilantro. As always, mis queridos amigos, the sky’s the limit!
¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
Perfect for your Labor Day Barbecue, with chips, or on top of your favorite grilled fish or vegetable, this salsa is, like its brethren (using the term loosely, my friends!), very adaptable!
- 3 cups diced, seeded watermelon
- 1/3 cup tequila (optional!)
- 1 roasted poblano—or jalapeño chile, peeled, seeded and diced
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- Chipotle purée to taste
- 1 teaspoon rice or white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, pineapple, and tequila.
- Stir to blend.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, or up to 1 day.
- Add the cilantro just prior to serving.