Apples are very versatile ingredients. They can be eaten raw, baked, fried, pureed and sautéed. For a quick savory dish just add a few ingredients with your apple and you have a winner, in under 30 minutes. Click this link to read more about apples.
This dish is a perfect way to use up your leftover rotisserie chicken. However, any protein will work, or simply serve it on its own.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ - 1 cup leek, pale green and white parts cut in ½ “slice
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cups Gala apple, peeled and cut in ½” dice
- 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped, and divided
- 2 cups leftover rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a medium sauté pan, over low heat, melt the butter and add the leeks with ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Sauté the leeks for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Raise the heat and add the chicken stock along with ¼ teaspoon of salt. When the stock comes to a boil, add the couscous, lower the heat and cover. Set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the apples, chicken and 1 tablespoon of thyme. Lower the heat and replace the lid. Set the timer for 3 minutes.
- In a small glass jar add the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake vigorously until blended. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Place the couscous and chicken mix in a bowl and drizzle the dressing over it. Sprinkle on the remaining thyme and toss well. Taste for seasoning and serve.