Eggplants are an extremely versatile ingredient. They can be found in many different cuisines, baked, fried, pureed and grilled. Try this easy side dish using grilled eggplants the next time you are serving meat or fish! Click this link to read more about eggplants and to grill them check out my quick and easy recipe video.
This is delicious dish only takes about 20 minutes. Perfect for a quick add-on side for your next dinner.
- 4 small eggplants, about 1 lb.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 – 15oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed well
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- Cut the ends of the eggplant and peel the skin leaving four or five ½ “ strips of skin. Then cut the eggplant in 1½ “ slices. Brush both sizes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on both sides until you have some pretty grill marks and the eggplant is soft and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile place ¼ cup of olive oil, vinegar, oregano and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a glass jar. Shake vigorously to blend and set aside.
- Remove the eggplant from pan and place on a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut each slice into 2” bites size pieces, place in a large mixing and toss with half of the dressing.
- Add the chickpeas, feta, parsley leaves and remaining dressing and gently toss.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
This is a great side dish with grilled chicken or lamb. You can also sprinkle this over lettuce greens for a light salad to go with your soup.