Lately I’ve been craving the Caribbean. I miss the flavors, air, and peoples of so many places ranging from Jamaica and the Dominican Republic, to Costa Rica…and dreaming of many more! Now I’m not sure what has inspired this; maybe it’s part Hispanic Heritage month, or the touch of fall that we’re feeling (and, funny, because I LOVE fall!). But points south—including the smooth tropical flavors of the Caribbean—are calling to me. So, mis queridos amigos, I bring you one of my favorite combinations: the Belize Cocktail.
The cocktail itself, which I learned from a lovely gentleman I met on a plane, has a different name in Belize; I’m calling it Belize Cocktail because, well if you’ve ever been to Belize, or read my little tale in Calypso Coolers, you’ll know! (Sorry for the tease—but it’s just not appropriate here!) But I will tell you one thing: the taste of fresh pineapple and coconut, with the addition of rum, is certainly seductive!
This is a great greet fall cocktail because it gently embraces summer flavors, yet combines well with heartier dishes (think jerk chicken—and beyond!). Of course it can be sipped along with some fabulous salsa…or perfectly toasted plantain chips. Ah…still dreaming!
¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
The Belize Cocktail (adapted from Calypso Coolers, by Arlen Gargagliano, ©2006, Stewart, Tabori & Chang) is the perfect fall barbecue starter!
- 4 ounces coconut rum (My friends, you know fresh coconut water is the most amazing/curative stuff–so if you’ve got that, forget coconut rum: use your favorite light rum combined with coconut water…)
- 4 ounces fresh or unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- 2 fresh pineapple wedges for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients–except for the garnish–in a shaker.
- Pour into two wine or cocktail glasses.
- garnish, and serve!