Tomatillos are a staple in Mexican cuisine, but often passed by at the supermarket or farmers market. They have a bright tangy flavor and work perfectly in fresh salsa with avocado and lots of lime juice and cilantro. Click this link: to read more about tomatillos.Click this link to quick and easy how-to video.
Tomatillos, avocado and lots of lime make this bright green salsa something completely different. If you can get it to last over night it’s even better the next day!
- ½ lb tomatillos, husked, rinsed well and cute in ¼”dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (use a garlic press)
- ½ cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, rib and seeds removed, finely minced
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 avocado, cut in ¼” dice
- Mix the tomatillos, garlic, onion and jalapeno in a medium bowl.
- Add ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and the lime zest and juice. Toss well.
- Add the avocado and gently mix it all together. Wait 5 minutes, toss again and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve as a topping for tacos or on it’s own with a bowl of tortilla chips.
The jalapeno quantity in the recipe is about ½ of a medium pepper. If you like your salsa with more heat use the rest of the pepper and/or the seeds and rib.