The Associated Press.
- 10 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup grated sweet onion
- 20-ounce bag fresh shredded potatoes (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 pound finely shredded or chopped cooked brisket or corned beef
- 4 egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 1 1 / 4pounds fresh turkey breast cutlets
- 2 whole eggs, lightly beaten
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons of the flour, the salt, pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
- Place the grated onion on a clean dish cloth or several layers of paper towels, gather up the edges to form a bundle. Holding the bundle over the sink, squeeze out at much liquid as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, potatoes, brisket, flour mixture and egg whites. Mix well to make a batter that is loose, but holds together well, adding a bit more flour if necessary. Set aside.
- Place the remaining 4 tablespoons of flour in a wide, shallow bowl. Place the 2 whole eggs in a second wide, shallow bowl.
- To prepare the cutlets, one at a time dip each first in the flour, then the beaten eggs. Then use your hands press 1/3 cup of the potato mixture evenly onto one side of each cutlet.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat about 1 / 4inch of oil until a shred of potato dropped into the oil sizzles immediately.
- Working in batches, add the cutlets potato side down, to the skillet. Cook until the potatoes are crispy and browned and the turkey is no longer pink at the center, 4 to 5 minutes. Press another 1/3 cup of the potato mixture on top of each turkey cutlet, then flip and brown on the second side for another 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, then repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the turkey reaches 165 F at the center.
- Serve immediately with Meyer lemon applesauce.
Nutrition information per serving: 500 calories; 200 calories from fat (40 percent of total calories); 23 g fat (5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 170 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 2 g sugar; 41 g protein; 1,110 mg sodium.