The Associated Press.
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a medium bowl, stir together the yeast, flour, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in the water, pumpkin and egg until a thick, smooth batter forms. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and stir well. Remove from the heat.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium-high, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 F.
- Working in batches, carefully drop the batter by the tablespoonful into the hot oil. A cookie or small ice cream scoop makes this easier. Turning occasionally, fry the doughnuts until deep golden brown all over and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fried doughnuts to a large bowl. Drizzle the honey syrup over the doughnuts and toss to coat. Repeat with remaining doughnuts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving: 80 calories; 25 calories from fat (31 percent of total calories); 2.5 g fat (0 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 5 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 4 g sugar; 2 g protein; 30 mg sodium.