The Associated Press
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 4 large beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 heads garlic (or 24 cloves), peeled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Spread the squash and beets on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, or until tender and browned, stirring every so often.
- Meanwhile, make the creamed garlic. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream and the garlic. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to just below a simmer. There should be just occasional bubbles in the cream. Cook for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the garlic is very tender. Mash the garlic with a fork in the cream, or transfer everything to a blender and puree until smooth. Stir in the thyme and season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the roasted squash and beets drizzled with the garlic cream.
Nutrition information per serving: 180 calories; 110 calories from fat (61 percent of total calories); 12 g fat (6 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 30 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 6 g sugar; 3 g protein; 190 mg sodium.