The Associated Press
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crushed toasted pistachios
- In a large skillet over medium-high, melt the butter. Add the apples and cook until lightly browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vinegar, water, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and cranberries. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid is thick and syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon the apple-cranberry sauce into a serving bowl, then top with the pistachios. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving: 200 calories; 45 calories from fat (23 percent of total calories); 5 g fat (1.5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 5 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 33 g sugar; 2 g protein; 0 mg sodium.