A recipe for easy apple pie pockets. Do-ahead for Thanksgiving.
From the Associated Press. Start to finish: 40 minutes (15 minutes active). Servings: 8.
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package rolled pie crusts (contains 2 crusts)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with kitchen parchment.
- Cut each pie crust into quarters. In a medium bowl, toss together the apple slices, brown sugar and cinnamon. Divide the apple mixture between the eight pieces of dough, heaping them in the center.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white with the water until frothy. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg white, then gather the edges up over the apple filling and pinch to seal together to form little bundles. Brush the outside of the bundles with more egg white, then sprinkle with sugar. Arrange the pie pockets on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 260 calories; 120 calories from fat (46 percent of total calories); 13 g fat (6 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 10 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 10 g sugar; 2 g protein; 190 mg sodium.