A speedy gravy recipe to use as soon as the bird comes out of the oven on Thanksgiving day.
From the Associated Press. Start to finish: 20 minutes; Servings: 12.
- 1 quart unsalted chicken or turkey stock
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium bouillon paste (sold in a jar near the broths and stocks)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium pan over medium-high, combine the stock with the onion, poultry seasoning and bouillon paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the butter and flour to form a thick paste. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onion from the stock and discard. Whisk in the flour-butter paste, then return the gravy to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition information per serving: 40 calories; 20 calories from fat (50 percent of total calories); 2 g fat (1 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 5 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrate; 0 g fiber; 1 g sugar; 1 g protein; 25 mg sodium.