Looking for a splashy dish for your next holiday meal without a lot of fuss? Look no further with this roasted carrot recipe. The big finish is making a pesto using the tops of the carrots. Look for fresh bright green tops and firm tapers. Click this link to watch my quick and easy video making Roasted Carrots with Carrot Top Pesto.
Roasted carrots brings out their natural sweetness, which gets balanced by the herbaceous pesto.
- 1 lb carrots with fresh looking green tops
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- FOR THE PESTO
- 4 cups of roughly chopped carrot tops
- ¼ cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the tops of the carrots and trim the stems off. Take the leaves and rinse well to remove any dirt that is lingering on them. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Trim and peel (if needed) the carrots and toss with a good drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed sheet tray and in the oven for 15 -20 minutes. If carrots are thicker you may need a little more time.
- PESTO: Place the garlic and hazelnuts in the bowl of your food processor. Give it a few pulses to break them up. Add in the carrot tops and mint. Let the machine run for about a minute.
- Add ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper and the Parmesan cheese. With the machine running slowly pour in ½ cup of olive oil and scrape down the sides as necessary. Add ¼ – ½ cup of water to thin the pesto out. It should have a loose consistency.
- After the carrots are roasted to your liking place on a platter and drizzle with the carrot top pesto and a sprinkle of salt, pepper and Parmesan.
If not using immediately store the pesto in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap against the top of the pesto to stave off oxidation. For longer storage place in an ice cube tray and freeze.