“One of our most acclaimed- and coveted- dishes here at Benjamin Steakhouse is actually one of the simplest: Cream-less Creamed Spinach. It’s been featured on Fox News, as well as in many culinary magazines and websites. Now, I get to share it with the community. Bon appétit!”
– Chef Arturo McLeod, Benjamin Steakhouse Westchester
- 1 pound frozen, chopped spinach
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 6 tablespoons clarified butter (boil butter to separate; use the clear, yellow portion that remains)
- 2 tablespoons powdered chicken base
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Add spinach, baking soda and 2 cups of water to a pot; bring to a boil.
- In a separate pan, combine the clarified butter and flour to create roux (pronounced “roo”). Leave to the side until ready for use.
- After the spinach boils for about 5 to 10 minutes, drain water into another pot and squeeze the excess water out of the spinach.
- Add chicken base, salt and white pepper to 2 cups of the water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the flame and stir in roux to thicken.
- 6. Combine this mixture with the spinach, stir and enjoy!
Benjamin Steakhouse Westchester, 610 Hartsdale Rd., White Plains, 914-428-6868, www.benjamin steakhouse.com.