There have been quite a few recipes on Brussels Sprouts, right here on this site, but then as they say, tis the season. In particular, seasonal chef and I collide with produce at least this way, it helps you stay really grounded with seasons.
Brussels Sprouts are like mini cabbages, in fact, with this recipe on my site I treat them just like cabbages. It sometimes takes people a little time to even realize that they are Brussels Sprouts. These tiny green sprouts of goodness are very nutritious, however, it is one of those vegetables that are best had organic. Brussels Sprouts have a very long growing season, and therefore tend to be on the receiving end of a lot of chemicals to keep them growing without pests. The other option is to remove the outer leaves, which in my experience tends to come off any way when you chop them.
They respond well to simple flavors and high cooking temperatures. In this recipe, I have used a hint of spice and tempered the slightly bitter aftertaste of the sprouts with cider, the almonds add a touch of crunch and the toasted mustard seeds a nice hint of nutty flavor. It is also important to add the mustard seeds later in the game or they will get bitter with the roasting.
Cider Glazed Roasted Brussels Sprouts, with sliced Almonds, garlic and toasted spices.
- 3/4 cup cider
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pound of Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 pods of garlic, minced
- Place the cider on the stove and cook the cider until reduced to 1/3 and add in the wine vinegar.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the Brussels Spouts with the reduced cider mixture, butter, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Place the sprouts on a casserole and scatter the onions.
- Roast them for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime heat the olive oil and add the mustard seeds and wait until they crackle and add in the garlic and cook the garlic until gently golden.
- Pour over the Brussels Sprouts and mix well.
- Serve immediately.