Here we are in the busiest and most festive party season of the year — the last thing anyone wants to do is stand around shaking drinks to order. The solution to the cocktails for a crowd conundrum? A punch bowl, full of something bright and delicious that suits the festive occasion.
In this recipe for Whimbrel Punch by bartender Clark Moore of Harper’s on Main in Dobbs Ferry, the sherbet stands in for the oleo-saccharum. “Ideally,” says Moore, “this should be made prior by muddling strips of citrus zest into sugar, allowing the oils to saturate, then adding the fruit juice until the sugar is fully dissolved. I have made this ‘a la minute’ by simply muddling the zest with sugar, then adding the juice. Obviously, in this way, the flavors are less concentrated.”
If you’d like the punch a bit more diluted, add more ice. If you’d like it a little colder, serve over ice. Moore will be serving the punch in individual bottles at Harper’s in Dobbs Ferry. Serves 12.
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) Johnny Black Label
- 1 1/4 cups (9 ounces) Batavia Arrack *
- 1 1/4 cups (9 ounces) Oloroso sherry
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) Cherry Heering
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) lemon sherbet
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) orange sherbet
- 4 cups ice
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine ingredients into a big punch bowl. Grate fresh nutmeg over the punch, and into cups after serving.
* If you can’t find Batavia Arrack, substitute Kronan Swedish Punsch, which is available at Rochambeau Wines & Liquors in Dobbs Ferry.
Harper’s on Main, 92 Main St., Dobbs Ferry. 914-693-2306, www.harpersonmain.com