Bright yellow split pea soup is high in protein and super easy to cook. With the cold weather upon us, there is nothing more filling than a delicious steamy bowl of yellow split peas. This is a great make-ahead soup and perfect for lunch. Click this link: to read more about split peas from Seasonal Chef.
The spiciness of this partially pureed yellow split pea soup is balanced with a bright orange sweet potato.
- 1/2 cup celery, 1/4″ dice, about 2 stalks
- 1 cup carrot, 1/4″ dice, about 2
- 2 cups onion, 1/4″ dice, 1 large
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flake, plus more to taste
- 4 cups stock
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
- 2 cups sweet potato, 1/2″ cubes, 1 medium
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- Chives, garnish
- Place the celery, carrot, onion and olive oil in a small stock pot. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables get soft and take on a little color.
- Add the chili flake and cook for 30 seconds. Raise the that slightly and add the stock and yellow split peas and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the split peas are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Twenty minutes into cooking add the sweet potato and replace the lid. Continue cooking until the yellow split peas and the sweet potato are soft. Take the lid off, mix in the parsley and turnoff the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- With your immersion blender puree 1/3 of the soup contents, leaving most of it still whole. Stir the partially pureed mix with the chunky part. Tasted for seasoning and add salt additional chili flake as desired.
- Garnish with finely sliced chives and serve.