This smokey yellow split pea soup get’s its amazing flavor from a spice blend made by Spice Revolution in Dobbs Ferry. A perfect blend for a chilly day. Click this link: to read more about split peas from Seasonal Chef.
Warming spices like smoked paprika and cayenne hit the mark with this hearty yellow split peas soup. Perfect for a cold winter day!
- 1/2 cup celery, 1/4" dice, about 2 stalks
- 1 cup carrot, 1/4" dice, about 2
- 1 cup red onion, 1/4" dice, 1 small
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, I used Spice Revolution
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dry mint
- Chives, garnish
- Place the celery, carrot, onion and olive oil in a small stock pot. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables get soft and take on a little color.
- Add the smoked paprika and cayenne and cook for 30 seconds. Raise the that slightly and add the water and yellow split peas and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the split peas are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take the pot off the heat. Mix in the mint and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- With your immersion blender puree 1/3 of the soup contents, leaving most of it still whole. Stir the partially pureed mix with the chunky part. Tasted for seasoning and add salt additional spices as desired.