Trying to incorporate more protein and calcium into your diet, without the calories or fat? A great way to do that is with tofu. Take note: tofu has very little flavor on its own. This recipe gives it a boost with onion, garlic and chili flakes. The best part is that your family will be none the wiser. The flavor and look of this sauce mimics ricotta cheese. No one will ever know! Click this link: to read more about tofu from our Seasonal Chef.
This is a great "fake-out" sauce for your family. With nearly one-third the fat and half the calories of ricotta, tofu is a sure winner.
- 1 1/4 cups of red onion, 1/2" dice, 1 medium
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Spice Revolution red & green bell pepper blend, optional
- 3 cups firm tofu, 1/2" dice, about 14 oz
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Over medium heat, in a medium pan, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil; seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Cook until the onions take on a slightly golden brown color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili flakes and dried bell pepper blend (if using) and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tofu and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the tofu-onion mix and basil in the bowl of a food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times to break everything up.
- With the machine running drizzle in the milk until you see it come together as a smooth and loose sauce. Add the parmesan and lemon zest and blend for 10 seconds. Taste for seasoning.