This legume is a powerhouse and perfect as a chick pea snack on the go. Start with couple of cans, add some spice and let the oven do all the heavy lifting. In the end you have a delicious and nutritious chick pea snack. Click this link: to read more about chick pea snacks.
- 2 cans of chick peas, rinsed well and drained
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite spice blend
- 1-2 tablespoons of demerara (raw) sugar or honey, optional
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with 2 paper towels and drop the chick peas down. With another towel roll them around to dry. If any of the skins pop off remove them as they will burn. Remove the paper towels and let the chick peas dry over night, or at least for a few hours.
- In a large bowl toss the chick peas with the oil and your spice. You need at least two tablespoons for two cans. Pre-blended mixes are the best, but let your imagination run wild.
- Add the sugar or honey of you want a little sweetness with your savory.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, until crisp and dry. After 15 minutes take a look at the tray and give the pan a little shake to move them around.
- Cool and then place in a bowl, if they last that long!
I had great success using Spice Revolution’s “Japanese Seven Spice” with raw sugar, and their “Cinnamon Blend” with honey.