Artichoke Caponata is a good crostini topper for a party, Oscar or otherwise.
By the Associated Press. Start to finish: 30 minutes Servings: 12
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Zest and juice of 1 / 2lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot, garlic and onion, then saute until tender and beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the olives, capers, artichokes, vinegar, honey, lemon zest and juice, and oregano. Lower the heat to medium and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring gently. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving: 70 calories; 25 calories from fat (36 percent of total calories); 3 g fat (0 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 5 g sugar; 2 g protein; 350 mg sodium.