Pickled Onion and Kumquat Relish over Goat Cheese is a good topper for crostini to serve at a party, Oscar or otherwise.
From the Associated Press Start to finish: 10 minutes, plus cooling Servings: 16
- 2 large red onions, diced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 cup chopped kumquats, seeds removed
- 8 ounces soft goat cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the onion, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, mustard and tarragon. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the tarragon sprigs. Stir in the chopped kumquats and allow to cool. Place the goat cheese on a serving platter and spoon the relish over the top.
Nutrition information per serving: 80 calories; 30 calories from fat (38 percent of total calories); 3 g fat (2 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 5 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 7 g sugar; 3 g protein; 180 mg sodium.