We were out for most of the weekend, getting back to errands and life in general on Sunday, needed some extra help! Some of this help came in the form of the stunningly beautiful weather that we have been having. It is nice to see the birds out, a little surreal with all the snow hanging around, and I finally convinced that spring its on its way. I know, we have snow on the horizon later this week, but a girl can hope right? One of my exercises this time of the year, is to begin truly using down the stored resources – yes, the frozen ones and the few things that we still have underground.
Our carrots last well, under ground and we dig them up, once the snow gets of the ground, no greens, and the same with beets. These carrots are fatter and much sweeter as their sugar content intensifies through the months of staying happily underground. So, onto today’s dish on hand, it is a very simple stir fry made with chopped cabbage, carrots and almonds. It is similar in concept to this dish with our garden red cabbage that I had shared with you earlier, but different because of the addition of mint and garlic. See what a difference a touch of flavor makes.
The mint makes a great pick me up, and actually I am waiting to be able to put my herb pots outdoors, I am curious to see how my mint and oregano fair? This was my first winter of actually bringing in my herbs. They were doing well, until the last couple of weeks, when the cold was just too much for them. Well, one of the blogs on gardening that I do enjoy reading is Bill Cary’s blog, and he is recommending that we begin pinching these plants back to life.
A light and lively stir fried dish with flavor, color and lots of perky goodness.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 2 carrots, cut into matchstick sized pieces (about 2 inches)
- 11/2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Heat the oil and add in the mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle and add in the ginger and garlic and stir lightly for a minutes.
- Add in the cabbage and the turmeric, salt and the red cayenne pepper and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in the carrots and mix well and cook for another two minutes.
- Stir in the mint and mix well.
- Stir in the almonds and serve hot or at room temperature.