A pot of home cooked beans can be used in a variety of ways. Try combining them with citrus and fennel to create a perfect foil for your fish filet that cooks in a snap. Click this link to read more about dry beans from our Seasonal Chef.
This quick citrus salad makes the perfect bed for a dense fish filet, or even a chicken breast.
- Spice Rub:
- 1/2 teaspoon mild chili
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of cayenne, optional
- Mild oil, I used avocado oil
- 2 - 5 oz filets of halibut
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup mild oil, I used avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 cups mixed cooked beans
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/2 cup orange segments
- Fennel fronds, garnish
- Chives sliced, garnish
- In a small bowl mix the spices. Brush the filets with a little oil and season with a salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the spice mix on the top side and set aside.
- In a small jar with a lid mix the dressing ingredients until fully blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl toss the beans, fennel and oranges. Drizzle the dressing over and combine. Add a little fennel frond and chives. Set aside.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and drizzle with a little oil. Sear the fish on the spice side first, for 4 minutes, then turn over and finish cooking.
- While the fish cooks plate the salad and place the finished filet over it. Garnish with additional fennel fronds and chives.