Yes, my friends, spring is here! As I write this, I’m listening to Celia Cruz (ah…magical!) and looking out at the sun shining, shining, shining. We all need this. And speaking of needing, this cocktail, Caribbean in a glass, is a welcome burst of spring.
I originally wrote about my Costa Rican Cocktail some time ago. Actually, a version of it appears in my book, Calypso Coolers, in a frozen drink form, under the name Caribe Cocktail Punch. Actually, just to give you a bit of background, I was in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica, many moons ago and decided to do some exploring. There I went to a beach-front bar and decided to try the cocktail that the bartender recommended. One sip of the passion fruit , fresh pineapple, lime juice, mango nectar and rum concoction convinced me: this drink was destined to be one I would enjoy and serve! These days I make it with and without the rum, and encourage you to “play” with the other juices to find your perfect balance. ¡Buen provecho! Enjoy!
My Costa Rican Cocktail can be made this way–on the rocks–or in a frozen version (which is, my friends, easier to prep ahead and serve to a crowd!). With or without the rum, this tropical fruit combo is a bring-on-spring kind of sip!
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
- 3 ounces passion fruit nectar
- 2 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1.5 ounces mango nectar
- 4 ounces white rum (optional–and to taste!)
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Cherries for garnish
- In a large bar glass, muddle the pineapple.
- Add the passion fruit nectar, pineapple juice, lime juice, and mango nectar.
- Add the rum and ice cubes and shake well.
- Pour into two glasses, garnish, and serve!