For a fresh take on salad, we created a broccoli slaw seasoned with Dijon mustard, as well as the zests and juices of a lemon and an orange. Chopped dried apricots add a sweet touch while toasted pine nuts offer a savory crunch. Alison Ladman, The Associated Press
The Associated Press
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli, very finely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a medium bowl, mix together the zests and juices of the orange and lemon. Whisk in the vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add the broccoli, apricots and scallions and mix well. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the pine nuts.
Nutrition information per serving: 100 calories; 60 calories from fat (60 percent of total calories); 7 g fat (0.5 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 4 g sugar; 3 g protein; 180 mg sodium.